Thursday 11 July 2013

Vegetable Garden Time

Often I am asked how much time and effort it takes to make a vegetable garden.  I realize this is a difficult thing for me to estimate, as for me spending time in the garden is an enjoyable task not a chore.  This year I really didn't have a lot of time in May after picking up a bit of work post year long mat leave.  I opted out of getting a load (yard) of manure this year.  Dad rototilled the garden with his ride on lawn mower attachment.  In past years I relished planning out my garden on paper and measuring it all out before planting.  This year I wrangled my husband, grabbed my box of seeds and we literally threw rows of seeds down spacing out with a garden rake as we moved across the plot.   All the seeds were planted in less than 45 minutes.  I had to water a few times during a heat wave in May.  June rained a lot, so no watering and also I used this as an excuse to avoid weeding.  Eventually I put some weeding and plant organizing time in - potatoes and perpetual spinach had popped up everywhere from last year  (probably about 1.5hours).  Now it is harvest time - potatoes, carrots, zucchini and peas have arrived!



 
HH contributing to dinner by digging up tators.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment